There is an ancient saying, ‘She who laughs last, laughs best’. ‘She’ being all our grandmothers and elders whose advice was shunted in favour of more modern, westernised health remedies. It took a health revolution in first world countries for us to realise the invaluable treasure chest of nutritional advice we possess at our fingertips.
And now, it’s almost as if an invisible hand has whacked us on the head, as realisation dawns and we begin to appreciate the many benefits of the classic health drink, haldi doodh.
Benefits of haldi doodh:
As the Western world grew more health conscious, many millennials looked up Eastern superfoods to stay healthy. Turmeric topped the list and began appearing on the menus of many urban cafes. Soon word spread, and the humble haldi gained a new level of popularity.
However, Ayurveda always valued this potent elixir, believing it to balance all doshas. Haldi is known to have many healing properties. However, our bodies have difficulty absorbing it. Since it is fat-soluble, it is most effective when taken with full-fat milk.
- Haldi is anti-inflammatory and rich in antioxidants
- It’s good for respiratory ailments like colds and coughs
- Is also an anti-allergic, so can be given to asthmatic kids for relief
- It is a great immunity booster
How to give your kids haldi doodh:
- Can be given during those times the weather changes, to avoid colds and coughs
- Can be given on a regular basis, like once a day, or three times a week, etc.
- Kids with respiratory problems can drink once a day (after checking with your paediatrician)
- Can be had more during cold and rainy season
- Traditionally consumed before sleeping
Recipe for haldi doodh (serves one)
- Full fat milk – 1 cup
- Haldi – 1/4 tsp
- Pepper (optional) – 1 or 2 pinches
- Jaggery powder (optional) – 1 tablespoon
- Warm the milk on the stove, don’t over-boil
- Add the haldi and pepper, mix well
- Add the jaggery powder and stir
- Let the milk cool and serve
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Haldi doodh is a potent nutritional drink that truly stands the test of time. It has helped generations of kids stay healthy and will continue to do the same for your child. It’s suitable for parents too, so make yourself a glass as well!