I had a very bad case of acidity during pregnancy, in my first trimester. Before that (and even after delivery), I rarely faced acidity issues. So I wasn’t aware of how to overcome it. My food intake was simple homemade meals, I was sleeping on time, exercising regularly. Yet, typical to many, I had severe acid reflux during the first trimester, which gave me a burning feeling all the time.
That’s when my MIL suggested me to take Green Moong soup. Just 2-3 days of intake and my acidity levels came down significantly. I continued having it 4-5 times a week, at dinner time, till the end of the first trimester.
Sharing the simple Indian recipe which is a highly effective home remedy acid reflux during pregnancy. Hope it helps moms facing acidity in pregnancy.
Green moong soup – Simple Indian recipe to beat acid reflux during pregnancy
- Green moong whole – 1/2 cup
- Jeera (cumin seeds) powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Black pepper powder – 1/4 teaspoon (optional)
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Salt – as per taste
- Lemon juice (freshly squeezed) – 1/2-1 tablespoon
- Water – 2 cups
Any Indian kitchen usually has these ingredients. Or one can get them from an Indian supermarket or local kirana store.
Note: You can adjust the quantity of jeera powder, Black pepper powder, Lemon juice as per taste.
- Soaked whole green moong overnight
- You can opt to sprout them for the soup or use the soaked one as well
- Add green moong (sprouted/soaked), water, salt & asafoetida in a pressure cooker
- Cook for 2 whistles; let the pressure settle
- Add jeera powder and black pepper powder
- Add freshly squeezed lemon juice
- If you want little thick consistency smash some of the cooked green moong
Preparation time for this recipe is 8-16 hours (depending on if you’re going to use soaked or sprouted moong).
This cooking time of the green moons soup in around 10 minutes.
Note: If you want, add tadka of jeera, kadi patta in 1/4 spoon oil to the soup
How to eat moong soup to avoid acidity in pregnancy
Include green moong soup in your diet during the first trimester (or subsequent trimesters), especially if you have acidity troubles. You can have it for lunch or dinner before your main meal. Or if you are not very hungry, this soup can be your dinner. The green moong soup contains carbs and proteins, is light on the tummy, the small number/quantity of spices bring taste, and lemon juice helps to balance the Ph thereby reducing acidity. It tastes great and is not very filling.