On any trip to the supermarket, you’ll see a shiny, bright box of Cerelac in the food aisle staring back at you. While this box promises to be a quick and easy meal for your baby, you may not be confident to serve your little one a mass-produced meal that wasn’t prepared in front of you. We’ve all heard about food companies that cut corners and use preservatives for longer shelf lives. Rather than serve your child some pre-cooked food with questionable content, here is a lovely and easy recipe to ensure your child develops a taste for healthy, homemade food which is loaded with nutrients.
Cerelac/Healthy cereal-mix – health benefits for babies
Cerelac is a popular misnomer. It is actually a brand of instant cereal from Nestle . In India, many people assume that any healthy mix of cereals is called Cerelac :-). So in this post, we will continue with that misnomer as we are still promoting a recipe which is healthy and highly nutritious for your child!
It is a complete meal as it is rich in protein, carbs and healthy fats.
This dish contains fibre for healthy bowel movements and abundant micronutrients that are essential for your baby’s development.
Recipe for homemade celerac/healthy cereal-mix
You can start making this recipe when your baby is six months or older. It’s an excellent, filling meal that you can also cook this dish in a travel cooker when you are away from home.
Ingredients (source from organic options where possible)
- Urad dal – 1/4 cup
- Yellow moong dal – 1/4 cup
- Horse gram – 1/4 cup
- Tur dal – 1/4 cup
- Rice – 1 cup
- Ground almonds – 2-3 tablespoon
- Ground cashew nuts – 2-3 tablespoon
- Elaichi powder – 1 tablespoon
- (Optional) Sprouted Ragi – ¼ cup
Method to prepare homemade cerelac/healthy cereal-mix powder:
- Put a thick-bottomed kadhai/vessel on a low flame and dry roast each ingredient separately
- Roast till it is crisp, the colour darkens, and an aroma is released
- Cool all the ingredients, then mix them
- Grind the mixture in a blender
- Strain through a sieve if you want a fine powder instead of a coarse one
- Store in an airtight container
Note: When roasted well, the mixture can easily last for 1-3 months
How to make cerelac/cereal-mix porridge
- Mix two tablespoons of homemade cerelac/cereal-mix powder to one cup of water*
- Stir the mixture to remove lumps
- Heat the mixture on a low flame; cook for ten minutes while stirring frequently
- Once cooled, you can add a teaspoon of homemade date syrup to sweeten the dish
- You can also add a little breast milk to help your baby transition to solid foods
- Serve immediately or within an hour
Note: *If you are travelling and don’t have heating equipment: add hot water to cerelac/cereal-mix, cover the mix with a lid and let it cook for 10-15 minutes.
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Homemade cerelac/cereal-mix is an easy recipe is a great way to start your baby on solids. It’s delicious, wholesome and nutritious. What’s more, it’s easy enough to carry with you when you travel with your baby.